Chicken Tacos Verde
Chicken Tacos Verde
|Makes: 8 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 taco|
|Choices: Starch 1, Lean Protein 3|
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
|3||lb.||boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1/3||cup||fresh or jarred chopped roasted green chile|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|8||(6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed|
|1||cup||jarred green chile sauce or salsa|
|1||cup||shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese|
|1/4||cup||red cabbage, shredded, optional|
|4||small||radishes, sliced, optional|
- Place the chicken in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover the chicken by about 2 inches. Add the garlic and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board (discard the water and garlic) and let cool to room temperature. Shred the chicken with your fingers or by using two forks.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the green chile and water, and cook until heated through and the onion is clear. Add 2 cups of the shredded chicken. (Save the remaining 2 cups for Fiber-Full Burrito Bowls.*) Add the salt, blend well, and heat through.
- Set the oven rack about 5 inches from the heat source, then preheat on broil.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the tortillas side by side on the baking sheet. Top each with 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture. Divide the chile sauce and the cheese evenly among the tortillas. Place in the oven until the cheese has melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cabbage and radish slices, if desired. Fold and serve immediately.
*Place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Use for Fiber-Full Burrito Bowls.
Recipe adapted from Tex-Mex Diabetes Cooking: More Than 140 Authentic Southwestern Favorites by Kelley Cleary Coffeen, PhD. Available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.