- Trim excess fat from the pot roast. Season the roast with the Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large, oven-safe Dutch oven, and brown the pot roast on both sides.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water to the pot, along with the dried thyme and vegetables.
- Bring the mixture to boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- In a small container, blend the cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup water until smooth. Remove the meat from the pot. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the cooking liquid and vegetables in the pan, and gently boil for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens. Return the meat to the pot and heat until hot. If desired, sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve.
Recipe adapted from Complete Month of Meals Collection: Hundreds of Diabetes-Friendly Recipes and Nearly Limitless Meal Combinations. Available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.