|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 thigh and 1/3 cup beans|
|Choices: Starch 1, Lean Protein 4, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 thigh and 1/3 cup beans
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
|2||lb.||boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 large thighs)|
|Juice of 1/2 lime (1 to 2 Tbsp)|
|1||Tbsp.||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1||(15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed|
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (unless you plan to marinate the chicken and cook it later). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the spice mix.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the lime juice and oil, then add the spice mix and coat the chicken thoroughly. (At this point, you can proceed with the recipe or refrigerate the chicken for up to 24 hours.)
- Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through in the center of the largest piece. When the chicken is about 3 minutes from being done, warm the beans in a microwave-safe dish for 1 to 2 minutes. Save 2 of the thighs for use in Fiesta Rice Salad.* Serve each thigh over a scoop of beans (about 1/3 cup).
*Place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Use for Fiesta Rice Salad recipe (or shred and put on a sandwich).
For more great recipes like this, pick up a copy of Aviva Goldfarb’s The Six O’Clock Scramble Meal Planner: A Year of Quick, Delicious Meals to Help You Prevent and Manage Diabetes, available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.