By the Plate: Pork Stir-Fry
Pork and citrus juices have a natural affinity for each other. Here, tangy lime complements the slightly salty soy sauce.
Full MealCalories: | Carbohydrate: g
By the Plate Foods Include
|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
|Choices: Nonstarchy Vegetable 1, Lean Protein 3|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 7 minutes
|1||Tbsp.||peanut oil, divided|
|1||lb.||lean boneless pork tenderloin, partially frozen, sliced into thin strips|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||Tbsp.||peeled and finely grated fresh ginger|
|2||scallions, thinly sliced|
|2||cups||fresh snow peas, trimmed|
|1/4||cup||low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|Juice of 1/2 large lime|
|2||Tbsp.||light soy sauce|
- Heat 2 tsp of the peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add the pork and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the garlic, ginger, and scallions. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the snow peas and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the broth, cover, and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the pork to the wok and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the lime juice and soy sauce, and serve over brown rice, if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Perfect Diabetes Comfort Food Collection: 9 Essential Recipes You Need to Create 90 Amazing Complete Meals by Robyn Webb, MS, LN. Available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.
Additional Foods in This Meal
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Per Serving
- Calories: 120
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Choices: Starch 1.5
1/2 cup steamed spinach
- Per Serving
- Calories: 25
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- Choices: Nonstarchy Vegetable 1