|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 cup soup, 1/4 cup yogurt|
|Choices: Starch 2, Nonstarchy Vegetable 4, Lean Protein 5, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup soup, 1/4 cup yogurt
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
|6||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1||lb.||95% lean ground beef|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|4||cups||fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth|
|2||cups||canned low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained|
|Zest of 1 orange|
|6||oz.||whole-wheat lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces|
|1||cup||fresh basil leaves|
|1||cup||plain, nonfat Greek yogurt|
- Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef, and brown for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, and orange zest. Bring to boiling and add the noodles. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the noodles are soft.
- Stir in the basil. Ladle into soup bowls, adding a dollop of yogurt to each serving.
Recipe adapted from The 12-Week Diabetes Cookbook: Your Super Simple Plan for Organizing, Budgeting, and Cooking Amazing Dinners by Linda Gassenheimer. Available January 2018.