- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Crack each egg into a separate bowl without breaking the yolks. Set aside.
- Preheat a small ovenproof pan and add 1 tsp of the canola oil. Gently add the eggs to the pan. Immediately place the pan in the oven. Cook at least 5 minutes, until both the white and yolk are firm. (Infants, young children, older adults, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems, including those with diabetes and other chronic illnesses, are particularly vulnerable to foodborne illnesses from bacteria found in undercooked or raw eggs.)
- In a small bowl, add the remaining 1 tsp canola oil, the lime juice, salt, and pepper; whisk the ingredients to create the dressing. Add the avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro to the dressing, and toss.
- Remove the eggs from the oven. Plate half the salad for each serving and add an egg.
Recipe adapted from Chef Ronaldo’s Sabores De Cuba: Diabetes-Friendly Traditional and Nuevo Cubano Cuisine by Ronaldo Linares (American Diabetes Association, 2016). Order online at shopdiabetes.org or by calling 800-232-6733