Ideas for Cooking Asparagus
Delicate in flavor, asparagus pairs nicely with many toppings and add-ons. Here are some of the best ways to prepare this practical produce.
- COOKING METHODS Steam, roast, grill, or stir-fry. If roasting or grilling, blanch the asparagus first for 2 minutes in boiling water, then immediately plunge it into ice-cold water. This allows any marinade or spice to cook into the asparagus.
- “FLAVOR DRIZZLES” Select your favorite oil and combine with your choice of vinegar—3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Add salt and pepper and drizzle over asparagus.
- NUTS Chopped nuts are a great topper, especially if you brown them in a bit of olive oil for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- SEEDS Heat sesame, poppy, mustard, or caraway seeds in a dry pan for a minute to toast the flavor. Sprinkle over the asparagus spears.
- CHEESE A delicate sprinkle of Parmesan, Manchego, Romano, queso blanco, or feta is incredible along with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and cracked pepper.