|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 0.5, Nonstarchy Vegetable 2, Lean Protein 4|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
|2||lb.||fresh calamari, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|3||med.||red onions, thinly sliced|
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the calamari and cook until the liquid released from the calamari evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, and turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the oil, onions, and curry leaf sprig and stir well. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove the lid, stir, and cook for 2 minutes more. Discard the curry sprig and sprinkle the calamari with the salt before serving.
Cook’s Note: This dish tastes great over steamed brown rice or served with whole wheat Indian flatbread.
Recipe adapted from Indian Cuisine Diabetes Cookbook: Savory Spices and Bold Flavors From South Asia by May Abraham Fridel. Available at shopdiabetes.org, 800-232-6733, or bookstores nationwide.