- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and discard; rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Cut the lemons in half crosswise. Squeeze the juice from the lemons into a small bowl or measuring cup. Add 3 Tbsp of the oil to the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves and squeezed lemons to the cavity of the chicken. Tie the chicken with food-safe string to close the cavity. Rub the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper. Place the chicken, breast side down, in the prepared roasting pan. Pour 1/3 of the lemon-oil mixture over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 35 minutes, until golden brown. Reduce the heat to 375° F and baste with 1/3 more of the lemon-oil mixture. Turn the chicken so it is breast side up and baste with the remaining 1/3 of the lemon-oil mixture. Continue to roast the chicken for 15 to 30 minutes, until cooked through and an internal temperature reaches 165° F. If necessary, tent with foil during roasting to prevent over-browning.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Tent with foil and let the chicken rest for 20 minutes before carving. Remove the garlic and lemons from the cavity. Slice the chicken, discarding skin and bones. Reserve 1 lb cooked chicken.*
*Place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for use in Roasted Lemon-Chicken Salad.