Basic Baked Ziti
Basic Baked Ziti
|Makes: 12 servings|
|Serving Size: 3/4 cup|
|Choices: Starch 1, Nonstarchy Vegetable 1, Lean Protein 1|
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|2||garlic cloves, peeled and minced|
|5||oz.||spicy turkey sausage, diced|
|1/4||cup||dry red wine|
|1||(28-oz) can whole plum tomatoes with juices|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh minced oregano|
|8||oz.||whole wheat ziti|
|1/2||cup||nonfat ricotta cheese|
|1/4||cup||grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese, divided|
|Pinch grated fresh nutmeg|
|3||oz.||part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed|
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Coat a shallow (preferably no more than 2 inches deep) baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, and sausage and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until the sausage is browned.
- Meanwhile, bring a 3-quart pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
- Add the red wine to the skillet and continue to cook until the red wine evaporates.
- Add the tomatoes to a deep bowl. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add them, with the juices, to the skillet. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until thickened. Add the oregano.
- Meanwhile, add the ziti to the boiling pot of water and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just al dente. Mix together the ricotta cheese, half of the pecorino Romano cheese, and the nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the cooked ziti and mix well. Add the sausage-tomato sauce and the mozzarella. Mix gently. Pour the noodle mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining pecorino Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve immediately.