By the Plate: Huevos Rancheros Breakfast
This easy breakfast main dish will wake up your taste buds with a little spicy heat
Full MealCalories: | Carbohydrate: g
By the Plate Foods Include
|Makes: 4 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 tortilla, 1 egg, about 1/4 cup sauce|
|Choices: Starch 1, Nonstarchy Vegetable 1, Medium-Fat Protein 1, Fat 1|
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla, 1 egg, about 1/4 cup sauce
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||olive oil, divided|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2||small||jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (about 1 Tbsp)|
|1||(28-oz) can whole tomatoes, drained|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|1/4||tsp.||cayenne pepper (optional)|
|4||(6-inch-diameter) corn tortillas|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||grated cheddar cheese|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh cilantro|
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Add the tomatoes to a large bowl and crush them with your hands. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and bring to boiling. Lower the heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thick. Add the salt, black pepper, and, if desired, cayenne pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the corn tortillas, one at a time, and cook for 2 to 4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. You want the tortillas to get a little crispy so they don’t get soggy when you add the sauce. Remove the tortillas from the skillet, wrap them in foil, and keep them warm in the oven. Crack an egg into a small custard cup, keeping the yolk whole, and then add the egg to the empty skillet. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes, until set.
- To serve: Place a tortilla on a plate. Spoon about 2 Tbsp of the tomato sauce on top of the tortilla. Top with an egg. Add an additional 2 Tbsp of tomato sauce and sprinkle with some of the cheese and cilantro. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Interested in more delicious, diabetes-friendly recipes? Click here to subscribe to Diabetes Forecast magazine.
Additional Foods in This Meal
- Per Serving
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Choices: Fruit 1
- Per Serving
- Calories: 110
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Choices: Fat-Free Milk 1.5