Diabetes Forecast

The Healthy Living Magazine

Another Reason to Lose Weight

By Miriam E. Tucker , ,

Losing a bit of weight and keeping it off for one year may go a long way toward improving your glucose control. Researchers studied 129 obese individuals with type 2 diabetes who were enrolled in an intensive 12-week diet and physical activity program. Those who had maintained a weight loss of at least 7 percent of their starting weight at the one-year mark lost an additional 2 percent of their initial weight by year five for a total of 9 percent. Compare that with those who lost less than 7 percent of their weight by the first year: Their weight at the five-year mark was just 3.5 percent lower than it was at the start. After five years, those who had kept the weight off during the first year fared better on an A1C test, which measures glucose control.

Interested in more information about healthy living with diabetes? Click here to subscribe to Diabetes Forecast magazine.


Get Free Health Tips

Register for free recipes, news you can use, and simple health tips – delivered right to your inbox.

Get to Know

While she’s still spinning music, DJ Spinderella (aka Deidra Roper) is no longer spinning her wheels when it comes to getting the right information to help her family members who have diabetes. Read more >