Beets and Barley
Packed full of healthy ingredients such as beets, peppers, and whole grain barley, this recipe is a tasty and substantial side dish.
Beets and Barley
|Makes: 8 servings|
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
|Choices: Starch 1.5, Nonstarchy Vegetable 1, Fat 1|
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
|1||cup||pearled barley (not quick cooking)|
|1||cup||very thinly sliced fennel (from 1 small bulb) or 1 cup chopped celery|
|1||small||red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1 1/2||tsp.||coarse Dijon mustard|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 400 º F. Wash the beets and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, bring the water and salt to boiling. Stir in the barley and return to boiling. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the barley is tender. Drain any excess water and cool the barley to room temperature. You will have about 4 cups of cooked barley.
- Once the beets are cooked through, remove them from the foil. Rinse the beets under cool running water, using your fingertips to remove the peel. Let cool for a few minutes, then cut the peeled beets into 1-inch cubes. Add the beets to a bowl. Add the fennel, red pepper, raisins, and pistachios.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the beet mixture and toss gently. Spoon the beet mixture over the room-temperature barley and serve.