Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey Pot Pie
|Serving Size: 3- × 3-inch square|
|Choices: Starch 1.5, Vegetable 1, Lean Meat 1|
- Makes: 12
- Serving Size: 3- × 3-inch square
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
|Butter-flavored cooking spray|
|1||lb.||white meat boneless turkey breast, diced into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1 1/2||tsp.||garlic powder|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|2||cups||fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|10||oz.||cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)|
|2||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1||lb.||small red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into quarters|
|3||med.||carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1 1/2||cups||1% milk|
|8||oz.||frozen peas, thawed|
|1/2||cup||minced fresh parsley|
|8||sheets||(9- × 14-inch) phyllo dough|
- Coat a 9- × 13-inch pan with the cooking spray; set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the turkey with the garlic powder and pepper, and set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1/2 cup water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft. With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms from the skillet; set aside.
- Add the potatoes and thyme to the boiling chicken broth. Lower the heat to medium. Simmer the potatoes for about 8 minutes, just until tender. With a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes and set aside; discard the thyme sprigs. Add the carrots and onion to the stock, and simmer for 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and onion; set aside.
- Add the turkey to the stock and simmer for 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the turkey; set aside. Cook and reduce the stock for 7 to 10 minutes, until you have about 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, whisk the milk, half-and-half, and flour until very smooth. When the stock is reduced, slowly add the milk mixture to the stock, constantly stirring, and cook until the sauce is thickened. Add the sauce to the cooked vegetables and turkey, stir in the peas and parsley, and mix well. Place the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Spread one sheet of the phyllo dough on a clean surface. Cover the remaining 7 sheets with a clean, slightly damp towel to avoid cracks. Coat the first sheet with the cooking spray. Add another sheet on top of the first and spray with cooking spray. Continue stacking and coating the sheets. Carefully lift the stack of phyllo (use a spatula if necessary) and place it over the turkey-vegetable mixture. With a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes across the top of the crust.
- Bake the pie, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.