|Serving Size: about 5 oz. (with bone)|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 0.5, Lean Meat 3|
- Makes: 6
- Serving Size: about 5 oz. (with bone)
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
|2||lbs.||skinless chicken drumsticks|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1 1/4||cups||plain nonfat yogurt|
|2||tsp.||garam masala spice blend|
|1||garlic clove, minced|
|1||tsp.||peeled, grated fresh ginger|
|A few drops of red food coloring (optional)|
|1||fresh lime, cut into wedge|
Marinating Time: 6 to 24 hours
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2 diagonal slashes on both sides of each chicken drumstick, cutting through to the bone. These deep cuts allow the marinade to penetrate.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the chicken, coating well. Refrigerate the chicken, covered, for 20 minutes.
- For the marinade, add the yogurt, onion, paprika, garam masala, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and red food coloring, if desired, to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and coat well. Marinate the chicken, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (up to 24 hours).
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a broiler pan with foil. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade pan (the chicken should be lightly coated with marinade) and place it on the broiler pan. Discard the excess marinade.
- Roast the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted into the meatiest part of a drumstick. Turn the oven to broil, and broil the chicken for 5 minutes or just until lightly browned, turning once. Serve the chicken with the fresh lime wedges.