Makeover Favorite: Turkey Stroganoff
Original Beef Stroganoff
Fat Foilers: Move over beef—lean turkey is a better protein option, and naturally fat-free portobello mushrooms add hearty texture. I also used less sour cream and cut all the butter.
How to get a makeover!
Send your recipe (complete ingredient list and instructions) along with your name, city, and state to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beef Stroganoff, originally from Russia, has many variations. You may be most familiar with the onion-mushroom-sour cream sauce version of the dish served over noodles. Some clever ingredient swaps provide a healthier translation of this comfort-food classic.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
8 oz. wide egg noodles
2 tsp. poppy seeds
Olive oil cooking spray
12 oz. fresh turkey breasts, cut into thin strips
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh minced parsley
1. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and return them to the pot. Add the poppy seeds and toss gently.
2. Coat a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Add the turkey and onion, toss with the salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and the turkey is cooked through. Transfer the turkey-vegetable mixture to a bowl; set aside.
3. Heat the canola oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the broth and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring with a wood spoon, until the sauce thickens.
4. Reduce the heat to low. Blend in the sour cream and mustard. Return the turkey-vegetable mixture and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Cook just until heated through; do not boil.
5. Divide the noodles among individual plates and top with the Stroganoff. Garnish with fresh parsley.