Easy Onion Soup
Easy Onion Soup
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
|Choices: Starch 1, Vegetable 2, Lean Meat 1, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 8
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||olive oil|
|1||large||sweet white onion, halved, peeled, and sliced|
|1||large||red onion, halved, peeled, and sliced|
|3||large||leeks, washed and chopped (white part only)|
|4||garlic cloves, minced|
|2||tsp.||fresh chopped thyme leaves|
|1/4||cup||dry white wine|
|1/4||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|6||cups||fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth|
|8||slices French bread (2 inches in diameter, 1 inch thick each)|
|1/2||cup||shredded Gruyère cheese|
|2||Tbsp.||grated fresh Parmesan cheese|
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the white and red onions, and sauté for 1 minute. Cover and reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, just until the onions begin to brown. Lower the heat if necessary to prevent burning. Add the leeks and continue to cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Add the white wine and black pepper to the onions, and cook over medium heat until the liquid is almost evaporated. Add the beef broth and bring to boiling. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook for 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bread slices on the prepared baking sheet. Toast the slices on each side for 1 to 2 minutes, just until they are lightly browned. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses, and place them under the broiler for 1 minute or until the cheese melts.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls, and place a slice of the cheesy bread on top.