|Serving Size: 1 muffin|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 1.5, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 10
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
|1/2||cup||whole wheat flour|
|1||cup||low-fat buttermilk or|
|1||cup||plain nonfat yogurt|
|1||Tbsp.||grated fresh orange zest|
|*I used Splenda Granulated.|
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flours, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, combine the buttermilk, canola oil, egg, and egg white.
- Add the liquid mixture to the cornmeal mixture, and mix until just combined; do not overbeat. Fold in the orange zest.
- Divide the batter evenly among 10 muffin cups. Fill any empty muffin cups half full with water to prevent burning in the oven.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them. Invert the muffin tin to release the muffins. Cool them on a rack. Serve the muffins warm or at room temperature.