|Serving Size: 1/2 cup|
|Sodium||65 mg (without added salt)|
|Choices: Vegetable 1, Fat 1|
- Makes: 5
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
|1||large||head escarole (about 1 lb.)|
|10||oz.||fresh baby spinach leaves, stems removed|
|4||garlic cloves, slivered|
|1/8||tsp.||crushed red pepper flakes|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|1||Tbsp.||good-quality balsamic vinegar|
- Core the escarole, discard any bruised or browned leaves, and wash thoroughly. Drain and pat dry, and tear the escarole into large pieces. Lightly rinse and thoroughly dry the spinach. Discard any leaves that are yellow or wilted.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add in the basil, sugar, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper, and shake the pan to disperse the seasonings.
- Add the escarole, in batches if necessary, and turn the leaves with tongs until they begin to wilt, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach, and turn with the tongs until it wilts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Cover the pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid in the pan.
- Sprinkle the vinegar over the greens and stir before serving.