|Serving Size: 5 nuggets (about 4 oz.)|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 1, Lean meat 3|
- Makes: 4
- Serving Size: 5 nuggets (about 4 oz.)
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Marinating Time: 24 hours
|1||lb.||boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1 1/2||cups||panko bread crumbs|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|Olive oil cooking spray|
- Add the chicken to a large plastic bag. With a rolling pin or meat mallet, pound each chicken breast, one at a time, until thin. Cut all the chicken into a total of 20 pieces. Add the chicken to another large plastic bag, and add the buttermilk. Seal the bag, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or with foil that has been coated with cooking spray. On a plate, combine the panko bread crumbs with the cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Shake the excess buttermilk off each piece of chicken, and roll the chicken in the bread-crumb mixture, coating it well. You will not use all the bread crumbs.
- Place the chicken nuggets in a single layer on the baking sheet, and coat the top of the nuggets with the olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake the nuggets for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with your own favorite lower-sodium dipping sauce.