French Chicken Stew
French Chicken Stew
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
|Sodium||225 mg (without added salt)|
|Choices: Vegetable 2, Lean meat 4, Fat 0.5|
- Makes: 7
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
|3||Tbsp.||all-purpose flour (divided use)|
|2||lbs.||boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||olive oil (divided use)|
|2||med.||stalks celery, chopped|
|1||large||onion, chopped (about 2 cups)|
|3||garlic cloves, minced|
|2||cups||dry white wine, (Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio)|
|1 1/2||cups||low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh minced thyme|
|8||oz.||pearl onions, thawed|
|8||oz.||(about 3 cups) mushrooms (white or cremini), sliced|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2||Tbsp.||minced fresh parsley|
- Add 2 Tbsp. of the flour to a large bowl. Dry the chicken very well with paper towels. Add in the chicken cubes and toss to coat. Heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil in a dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add the chicken in batches, and sauté until well browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Add in another 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Add carrots, celery, and onions, and cook on medium heat until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add in the remaining flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour coats the vegetables.
- Add the wine, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce for 5 to 7 minutes while stirring. Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaves. Add the chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, in a large separate skillet, add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil, and sauté the pearl onions and mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Set the pearl onions and mushrooms aside.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot and discard. Add the pearl onions and mushrooms to the chicken, and simmer uncovered for 5 to 7 minutes. Some of the liquid will evaporate, thickening the stew. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with minced parsley.
Note: This stew may be served with additional vegetables and a salad, if desired.