|Makes: 12 (makes 3 quarts)|
|Serving Size: 1 cup|
- Makes: 12 (makes 3 quarts)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
|2||large||onions, coarsely chopped, skins left on|
|4||stalks||celery, coarsely chopped|
|3||large||carrots, unpeeled, coarsely chopped|
|2||small||parsnips, unpeeled, coarsely chopped|
|1||bunch||fresh parsley sprigs|
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and parsnips; sauté for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley, peppercorns, and cold water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook, partially covered, about 1 hour.
- Strain the stock while mashing down on the solids with a wooden spoon to extract all the flavors. Discard the solids.
- Pour the vegetable stock into cup or quart containers or heavy freezer bags. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Stock will keep fresh in a covered container in the refrigerator for 1 week.