|Serving Size: 1 meringue|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 0.5|
- Makes: 8
- Serving Size: 1 meringue
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, plus
- Cooling Time: 10 minutes
|1/4||cup||fresh chopped strawberries|
|1 1/2||cups||halved strawberries|
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a large 13- x 18-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put the cookie sheet on top of another (this will prevent the meringues from browning too much on the bottom). Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites with an electric mixer at low speed, about 2 minutes or until they look foamy. Increase the speed to high, and continue beating about 1 1/2 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar. The whites will become very creamy and glossy, with stiff peaks forming in about 5 to 6 minutes. Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Using an ice cream scoop, put about 1/4 cup of the mixture per meringue on the cookie sheet. Each scoop should be about 2 inches in diameter and spaced 1 inch apart from its neighbors. Make a small impression in the center of each meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the meringue is firm on the outside and light in color. The inside will still be a little moist. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen the meringues with a spatula, and transfer them to serving plates. Top meringues with the halved strawberries. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Note: If serving only four people, you will have leftover meringues. You can store them in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days.