|Serving Size: 2 pieces, 1/4 cup sauce|
|Choices: Starch 2, Medium-fat meat 2, Fat 1|
- Makes: 4
- Serving Size: 2 pieces, 1/4 cup sauce
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 6 to 8 minutes
|1||lb.||extra-firm lite tofu, drained|
|1/2||cup||Italian-style bread crumbs|
|1||cup||prepared marinara sauce|
Pressing time for tofu: 2 hours
- Press the tofu: Wrap the block of tofu in three layers of paper towels. Set on a plate. Put another plate on top of the paper towels, and set a heavy weight (such as a pot or a heavy book) on top of that. Let the tofu drain for 2 hours, and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Slice the tofu into 8 even slices. In a plastic bag, combine the flour and black pepper.
- Place one piece of tofu at a time into the bag, and gently shake to coat each piece very lightly with the flour. Remove the tofu from the bag, and set on a plate to rest a few minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, process the hazelnuts until they resemble crumbs. In a medium bowl, combine the hazelnuts, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Place the egg substitute in another medium bowl.
- Dredge the tofu in the egg substitute, allowing excess egg substitute to drip back into the bowl. Dredge the tofu in the hazelnut crumb mixture, coating both sides. Place all the tofu on a plate.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat. Add the tofu, taking care not to crowd the pieces. Sauté on both sides for a total of 6 to 8 minutes, or until the tofu is golden brown.
- Serve topped with marinara sauce.