|Serving Size: 2 thighs and 3 1/2 Tbsp. sauce|
|Choices: Carbohydrate 1.5, Lean meat 4, Fat 1|
- Makes: 4
- Serving Size: 2 thighs and 3 1/2 Tbsp. sauce
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: about 1 1/2 hours
|1/4||cup||tomato-based chili sauce|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||red wine vinegar|
|1/2||med.||onion, finely chopped|
|1||garlic clove, minced|
|dash||(about 1/16 tsp.) salt|
|1/8||tsp.||fresh-ground black pepper|
|1||Tbsp.||mild or hot chili powder|
|8||tsp.||bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lbs.)|
|1/3||cup.||unsweetened apple juice|
- Make the barbecue sauce: Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. (You can also wait and do this step while the chicken is grilling, if it's convenient.)
- Prepare the grill: Coat the rack with cooking spray, or use tongs to dip a large piece of paper towel into vegetable oil and rub it on the grill rack. (Discard the towel.) For a gas grill, set one burner to medium, leaving the remaining burners off. For a charcoal grill, arrange the coals so that one side of the grill is hotter than the other, then light the coals.
- Combine all the rub ingredients. Coat the chicken with the rub, and let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes while the rub permeates the meat.
- Place the chicken on the grill rack above the medium burner on a gas grill or on the cool side of a charcoal grill. Cover the grill. Maintain the grill temperature at about no more than 300°F.
- Baste each piece of chicken with some of the apple juice. Grill for about 45 minutes on one side, basting occasionally with apple juice. Turn the chicken thighs and continue to cook for about another 45 minutes, basting with the apple juice.
- Brush one side of the chicken with barbecue sauce, and continue to cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn over each piece, and brush with more sauce. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Remove all the chicken from the grill, and serve with any additional heated sauce.