|Makes: 2 loaves/16 slices per loaf|
|Serving Size: 1 (1-inch) slice (about 1 oz.)|
|Choices: Starch 1|
- Makes: 2 loaves/16 slices per loaf
- Serving Size: 1 (1-inch) slice (about 1 oz.)
- Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Rising Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
|1||package||(1/4 oz.) active dry yeast|
|1 1/4||cups||warm water (about 110°F)|
|2||Tbsp.||lite buttery spread, melted (such as Promise Activ)|
|3 1/2||cups||bread flour|
|Vegetable oil to grease the bowl and pans|
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and d cup of the water. Set aside for 10 minutes until the yeast becomes active and looks frothy.
- Add the melted butter, molasses, salt, flour, and cornmeal. Add in the remaining water, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Use enough water to form a soft but not overly sticky dough. (You may need extra water.) Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand for about 15 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Shape the dough into a large ball. Add the dough to the bowl and turn over so the entire ball has a film of oil on the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and then a tea towel, and place in a draft-free spot. Let the dough double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Lightly oil two (9 1/2- by 5-inch) loaf pans. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in the pans. Cover with plastic wrap, then a tea towel, and place in a draft-free spot for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the egg and water and brush the top of the loaves with a pastry brush. Bake the loaves for 1 hour until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pans. Turn the loaves out and let them cool completely on a rack before slicing.